Benefits of Having an ASL Chapter
Membership in Alpha Sigma Lambda brings the camaraderie and prestige of America's only chapter-based honor society for non-traditional students. The benefits of ASL membership include:
- The premier nationally recognized honor society for full- and part-time students.
- Motivation for students to achieve academic and leadership excellence.
- A distinctive, 60+ year established honor society with a full-time national office and staff.
- Publication of a semi-annual online newsletter.
- Chapter Councilors/chapter advisors for each chapter.
- A forum for the exchange of ideas on activities and programs for adult students.
- Enhancement of the image of lifelong learning at your institution.
- Scholarship opportunities.
- The uniting of outstanding students and faculty.
- Availability of insignia pins, academic honor cords, clothing and many other items.
- Esprit de corps among nontraditional/adult students.
- Improved retention of adult students.
- The recognition of the achievements of your adult students.
Procedures for Establishing a Chapter
Alpha Sigma Lambda does not compete with, but serves as a reservoir for, senior honor societies.
This committee may draft the local constitution and by-laws for submission to the Home Office. Individual chapters of Alpha Sigma Lambda prepare their local constitutions and by-laws based on the minimum requirements stated in the ASL Constitution. It is necessary that membership requirements align closely with the national constitution.
A completed copy of the application form and a draft or the chapter's constitution may be faxed to 217-581-6697 for review by the ASL Executive Director. Online forms should be submitted as an e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon completion of any suggested changes to the application materials, online forms should be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com. When sending printed forms, include three copies of the program catalogs with the application form and constitution.
Immediately after the forms have been submitted (e-mail or postal mail), a non-refundable fee of $375 must be submitted to the Home Office. This fee may be paid by check, purchase order or online by credit card.